Backlinks are a way of expressing confidence in a website. When someone links to your website as a reference, they trust that your information is trustworthy and important. Therefore backlinks are a vote of confidence in SEO.
However, some rules associated with backlinks decide whether they are useful or harmful.
- Backlinks from high authority websites.
- Backlinks from websites within the same niche or industry.
- Backlinks from websites that do not link out much to others.
- Paid backlinks from websites that trade them.
- Exchange backlinks.
- Creating spam posts for backlinks.
- Backlinks from low-authority websites
- Backlinks from low-quality blog networks.
Google and other search engines like Bing or Yandex have a way of identifying these bad-quality backlinks and punishing you by decreasing your page score.